1950s Retro Bath Remodeling and More
The decade of the 1950’s in the United States was a time of exciting and monumental changes. Soldiers coming back from WWII were ready to settle down, buy houses, and start families. Money generated from WWII gave people the income to not only buy houses, but to buy the latest technologically advanced home appliances and cars. The huge demand for housing led to some of the first prefabricated homes and the quickly built, efficient ranch style homes. The space race between the United States and Russia inspired architects, artists, and car manufacturers alike and houses, artwork, and cars took on a futuristic look. The cold, dreary war had ended and people were ready for color. Home interiors were painted with bright, cheery colors such as pink, orange, turquoise and yellow. Pink was all the rage; both bathrooms and kitchens were commonly painted pink, and even pink appliances were sold.
Television soared in popularity in the fifties and nearly every household had one. Due to television and advances in mass media, consumerism truly took hold and popular culture flourished. Rock and Roll was born and the birth of a teen culture and many fads followed; Jazz and R&B music were very popular at the time as well. Records and record players could be found in most homes. Despite the optimism of the time, people had to live with fear of nuclear war; popular culture, art, architecture, homes, and home decor reflected the hope, confidence, and optimism of the American people that they would overcome the trials of the present decade, as they had overcome those of the past. The houses of the 1950’s tell an exciting story of a culture on the verge of an entirely new way of life.
- Preserve the Pink: How to Enhance the Retro Bathroom’s Charm – This newspaper article describes the pink and green bathrooms of the 1950s and provides some interesting facts about them; additionally, it offers tips on how to update them without destroying them.
- Household Ads of the 1950s – This page of vintage ads features a Kohler bathroom ad from 1950 and features popular colors of the time.
- Renovate a 1950s Bathroom – Tips for renovating a 1950s era bathroom while keeping the original character.
- American Standard Bathroom – A series of images of a 1953 American Standard bathroom.
- 1950’s Home Interiors – View charming pictures of authentic 1950’s style kitchens.
- 1950s Pink Kitchen – The Wisconsin Historical Society shares pictures of an authentic 1950’s kitchen and its pink oven, tile, counter top, and range.
- Homes: Period Style 1950 – Details of 1950s home decor elements are covered here, especially kitchen elements, with a photo of a kitchen.
- Fifties Kitchens-Retro Kitchen Renovation – Learn about the decor and colors popular in 1950s kitchens and view some photographs of them in this article.
- An Eichler Kitchen – Photos and descriptions of an Eichler kitchen and its contents are given.
- The 1950s All-Electric House – The Johnson County Museum in Kansas showcases a 1950s house; click on the image gallery to see pictures of a 1950’s bedroom and other rooms of the house.
- Image Archives 1950s Bedrooms – A gallery of authentic 1950s photographs are on display on this page.
- Pace Setter House of 1950 – Several photos of 1950s bedrooms, kitchens, living rooms, and house exteriors are shown in this digital library.
- California and the Postwar Suburban Home – Images of home interiors from the 1950s are shown and an overview of what was happening in the housing market at the time is given.
- Living Room of the Park Forest House Museum – Park Forest House Museum features a period correct 1950s house; see photos of the house here.
- The Lustron Home – The interior of a Lustron home is displayed along with an article about the Lustron home.
- 1950s Interior Design – A look at 1950s interior design for living rooms and how you can recreate the look.
- The Lustron Home – Read all about the Lustron Home, the prefabricated home of the 1950s on this website and peruse several pictures of the houses.
- Living in a Lustron, the 1950s House of the Future – Minnesota Public Radio interviews a man about living in a 1950s prefabricated Lustron home.
- Ranch and Raised Ranch – Ranches and split level ranches were extremely popular house styles during the 1950’s, and they are described on this page.
- Modern House Types – A chapter from the book North American House Types covers the house types popular in the fifties; included are Ranch, Split level, Split Foyer, Contemporary, and American International style houses.
- Suburban Growth – Reasons for the growth of suburbia in the fifties are explained, and the prefabricated homes made by William Levitt are described.
- The Suburban Ranch House in Post-World War II America – The reasons for the popularity of ranch homes in suburban settings during the anxiety filled post war period are studied in this paper.
- Orange’s Eichlers – Joe Eichler built the famous Eichler tract homes of the 1950s in California-this article is a comprehensive history of them.
Art & Architecture
- Out of This World: Designs of the Space Age – View some of the futuristic architecture of the 1950s that was inspired by the space race.
- Identifying American Architectural Styles: Midcentury Modern – The History of Midcentury Modern style and the elements that define it are covered here and illustrated in photos.
- Rebel Painters of the 1950s – Abstract Expressionism was the defining artistic style of the 1950s. Jackson Pollock and Philip Guston are two of the famous artists discussed in this article.
- 1956 Jackson Pollock – Jackson Pollock is a painter that represents the style of the 1950s; learn more about him in this short biography and view some of his paintings.
- Art & Architecture – Information on the art and architecture of the 1950s along with music, television of the era and more.
- Modern Architecture – An article that discusses the modern architecture of the 1950s and 1960s.
Events & Technology
- Cars 1950-1959 – This article discusses why the 1950’s was known as the decade of the automobile.
- 1950s Economics – Learn about the social conditions, politics, and economics of the 1950s and how they shaped the decade.
- Television Reception in the 1950s: A Coming of Age – The emerging excitement for television in the 1950s and the challenges of getting reception are covered in this article, as well as popular television programs of the time.
- World Events During the 1950s & 60s – This time line lists the important events of the 1950s.
- 1950s Popular Culture Helped Take Minds Off Nuclear Fears – Learn about what military and political events were happening in the 1950s and about what actors, actresses, and music entertainers were popular.
- Living With the Bomb – Americans lived anxiously in the 1950s due to the Cold War and the fear of atomic bomb attacks.
- 5 Technologies to Thank the 50s For – Information on 5 valuable technologies that were developed in the 1950s.
Fashion and Fads
- Fascinated with French Poodles – An example of 1950s wallpaper is shown here. Poodles were a popular theme in the 1950s.
- From Atoms to Patterns – Scientific discoveries in x-ray crystallography inspired the patterns of the 1950s; these patterns appeared on everything from curtains to dresses.
- American Cultural History 1950-1959 – A guide to facts, events, fads, technology, art, music, and television of the 1950s.
- 1950s Rock ‘n Roll Clothing – Circle skirts, poodle skirts, rolled pant legs, and sweater vests were some of the popular clothing of the 1950s.
- 1950s Clothing Fashion – Clothing fashion for men and women is displayed with pictures and written about here.
- Fifties Fads and Fashions – Poodle skirts, letter jackets, and hula hoops are some of the fads of the fifties that you can read about on this page.
- The History of Rock and Roll Until 1960 – The origins, and history of rock and roll and how television and radio made it popular.
- Popular Culture of the 1950s – Mass media, the rise of television, the new teen culture, and music of the 1950s are discussed in this textbook chapter.
- BeBop, Cool Jazz, and Hard Bop – Definitions of music styles, musicians, and music samples are offered on this site.
- Miles Davis – A biography of Miles Davis, a popular jazz musician of the 1950s, is given here.
- Early Rock of the 1950s – A synopsis of pop culture in the 1950s and links to listen to the top hit songs of the time.
- Rhythm and Blues Music – The history and evolution of rhythm and blues in Louisiana during the 1950s.